Major Research Fields†
- Fluid Mechanics / Flow Control / Turbulence
- May 1970: Born in Tokyo
- Mar. 1994: B.Eng., Dept. of Quantum Engineering and Systems Science, The Univ. of Tokyo
- Jun. 1997: TeknL, Dept. of Mechanics / FaxénLaboratoriet, Kungl. Tekniska Högskolan (KTH), Stockholm
- Apr. 2000: TeknD, Dept. of Mechanics / FaxénLaboratoriet, KTH, Stockholm
- Sep. 2000: Ph.D., Dept. of Quantum Engineering and Systems Science, The Univ. of Tokyo
- Oct. 2000: Postdoctoral fellow, Mechanial Engineering Laboratory, AIST
- Apr. 2001: Postdoctoral fellow, Inst. for Energy Utilization, AIST
- Apr. 2003: Research Associate, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, The Univ. of Tokyo
- Apr. 2007: Assistant Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Keio University
- Apr. 2011: Associate Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Keio University
- Apr. 2015: Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Keio University
- Apr. 2019-Mar. 2023: Chair, Center for Applied and Computational Mechanics, Keio University
K. Fukagata, K. Iwamoto, and Y. Hasegawa,
"Turbulent drag reduction by streamwise traveling waves of wall-normal forcing,"
Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 56, 45-66 (2024 to appear).
"Reduced order modeling of fluid flows using convolutional neural networks,"
J. Fluid Sci. Technol. 18, JFST0002 (2023).
News & Views: "Towards quantum computing of turbulence,"
Nat. Comput. Sci. 2, 68-69 (2022).
N. Kasagi, Y. Suzuki, and K. Fukagata,
"Microelectromechanical system-based feedback control of turbulence for skin friction reduction,"
Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 41, 231-251 (2009).
Honors and Awards†
- March 2023: JSME Medal for Outstanding Paper (Co-awardee: Yusuke Nabae)
- February 2023: Fellow, Japan Society for Mechanical Engineers (JSME)
- October 2020: JSME-TED Best Conference Paper Award (PRTEC2019) (Co-awardees: Kai Fukami, Yusuke Nabae, Ken Kawai)
- December 2020: Fellow, Japan Society of Fluid Mechanics (JSFM)
- December 2019: JACM Fellows Award, Japan Association of Computational Mechanics
- December 2019: Best Oral Presentaion Award, COMSOL Conference 2019 Tokyo
- October 2018 and October 2020: Thermal Engineering Contribution Certificate of Merit, Japan Society for Mechanical Engineers
- June 2014: Best Poster Paper Award, Int. Symp. on Electrohydrodynamics 2014 (Co-awardees: Yosuke Anzai, Hiroshi Naito)
- November 2013: Fluids Engineering Frontier Certificate of Merit, Japan Sociery of Mechanical Engineers Fluids Engineering Division
- February 2013: Award for Outstanding Paper in Fluid Mechanics, Japan Society of Fluid Mechanics Co-awardees: Kaoru Iwamoto, Nobuhide Kasagi)
- February 2008: Award for Distinguished Young Researcher in Fluid Mechanics (Ryumon Award), Japan Society of Fluid Mechanics
- October 2006: Fluids Engineering Contribution Certificate of Merit, Japan Society for Mechanical Engineers
- March 2003: The Best Presentation Award, The 4th International Symposium on Smart Control of Turbulence
- Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (JSME), Member
- Japan Society of Fluid Mechanics (JSFM), Member, Fellow (2021-), Director (2019-2020, 2022-)
- Japanese Society for Multiphase Flow (JSMF), Member
- Japanese Association for Computational Mechanics (JACM), Member
- Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence (JSAI), Member
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), Member
- American Physical Society (APS), Member
- European Research Community for Flow Turbulence
and Combustion (ERCOFTAC), Research Group Member
Organization of International Conferences†
Advisory Board/International Scientific Committee Member†
- Address: Department of Mechanical Engineering, Keio University, Hiyoshi 3-14-1, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama 223-8522, Japan
- E-mail: fukagata mech.keio.ac.jp
Last-modified: 2023-08-17 (Thu) 19:36:17